It is always a good idea to keep the contact information on hand.
Children's Hospital Phone: 1-313-745-5711
- Avoid bringing unnecessary toxic substances into the house.
- Avoid storing medicines, cleaning supplies, or other poisonous products near food.
- Avoid taking medicine in front of children, and NEVER call medicine, candy.
- Clean out old medicines on a regular basis, and flush them down the drain.
- Keep all medicines locked-up in a child-resistant packaging.
- Keep all products in their original containers.
- Read and heed all directions and caution labels on poisonous products.
- Rinse out containers thoroughly before disposing of them.
- Store cleaning supplies out of the sight and reach of children.
- Whenever possible buy products that have child-resistant caps.
Simple First Aid for Poison
- Call for help immediately!
Keep the telephone number of your physician, the rescue squad, and the nearest Poison Control Center near your telephone. Carefully follow any instructions.
- Poisonous gases
Take the victim to fresh air. Start rescue breathing until the victim is breathing or help arrives.
- Eye or skin contact
Flush thoroughly with water for at least 15 minutes.
- Swallowed poisons
Keep a bottle or Syrup of Ipecac in your medicine chest. Induce vomiting only if directed by the Poison Control Center or your physician.
DO NOT induce VOMITING if the victim:
- is unconscious.
- having convulsions.
- has swallowed a corrosive, such as drain cleaner, lye or acid.
- has swallowed kerosene, gasoline or other petroleum distillate.
- Every year approximately 500,000 children are accidentally poisoned.
- Of that number approximately 2,000 die!
- 70% of all accidental poisoning occur in the home.
- Between 80-90% of all poisonings involve children under 5 years old.